Saturday 12 December 2020

Why the silence?

A fair question. There has been a gap of three months between the latest story (Scrapings and crashings) and the previous one on 3 September. Normally I’d been producing one every five or six weeks. What happened? Lazy slob…

Well, Covid-19 for a start. Although this island has faired better than many other places, we did have our lockdown and we still wear our masks everywhere. There’s much less happening than usual, much less life in the town and our village. It puts a damper on things.

The other excuse is that my paperback collection of stories from this blog (available on Amazon) has taken on a life of its own. It got me invited to join a local arts group which is planning an exhibition early next year, with a splendid catalogue for which I contributed a couple of stories.

Also it seems that Spanish people enjoy the book, which I’m delighted about, but of course they have to understand English so I’m now going to produce a Spanish version. I’m translating the stories myself (pause for disbelieving guffaws of laughter - no, wait, wait) with a Spanish native speaker on board to turn my nearly-Spanish text into the real thing.

All this has taken up a lot of my spare time and… well yes, it's a lame apology. Must try harder.

A few website links

Paperback Do they still whistle? on Amazon UK:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085HRZ4CF/

(on Amazon websites for other countries, just search for the book title)


Article about me (in Spanish) in local online newsletter:

www.gomeranoticias.com/2020/11/20/peter-drake-la-mirada-de-un-ingles-en-la-gomera/


Facebook page for the arts group El Viaje Interior:

www.facebook.com/El-viaje-interior-111119467291640/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment